If a child is not collected at the end of a session, Acorn staff will take the following steps:
- If a parent/carer or designated adult is more than 15 minutes late in collecting their child then the Acorn Co-ordinator/Deputy will be informed.
- The Co-ordinator or Deputy will attempt to contact the parent/carer or designated adult using all agreed contact details in order to try to ascertain the cause for delay and how long it is likely to last. Messages will always be left on any answer phone requesting a prompt reply.
- The child will be supervised by at least two members of staff. The child will be taken to the kitchen in the event that the hall is being used at 6 O’clock.
- If, after repeated attempts, no contact is made with the parent, carer or designated adult, and a further period of 30 minutes has elapsed, Acorn will seek advice from Lewisham social services.
- Acorn will continue to try and contact the child’s parent/carer or designated adult with updates. Furthermore, a note will be left on the door of the centre informing the parent/carer or designated adult of what has happened with contact details for the local social services department.
- Under no circumstances will a child be taken to the home of a member of staff, or away from the club’s premises unless absolutely necessary in the course of waiting for them to be collected at the end of the session.
- The child will remain in the care of the Club until they are collected by the parent/carer or designated adult, or alternatively placed in the care of social services.
- Incidents on late collection will be recorded and discussed with the parents/carer at the earliest opportunity. Parents and carers will be informed that persistent late collection may result in the imposition of a fine or the loss of their child’s place at the club.