Staff conduct regular head counts, especially at changeover points between sessions.
The following procedure will be followed if a child cannot be accounted for:
- The manager and staff will be informed that the child is missing and a thorough search of the entire premises will commence. Staff will be careful not to create an atmosphere of panic and ensure that the other children remain safe and adequately supervised.
- Two members of staff will search the area surrounding the premises.
All staff will be extra vigilant for any potential suspicious behaviour or persons in and around the Club.
- If the child is still missing after 15 minutes, the manager will inform the police and the child’s parent/carer.
- Searches will continue while waiting for the police and the parent/carer to arrive. During this period, the other members of staff will maintain as normal a routine as possible for the rest of the club.
- The manager will be responsible for meeting police and the missing child’s parent/carer. The manager will co-ordinate any actions instructed by the police, and do all they can to comfort and reassure the parents/carers.
- Once the incident is resolved, the manager and staff will review relevant procedures and implement any necessary changes.
- All incidents of children going missing from the club will be recorded in the Incident Log book, and in cases where either the police or social services have been informed, Ofsted will also be informed as soon as is practicable.